Thursday, April 16, 2009

First Blog

Well, here I go. My first blog entry. Surely, a momentous historical occasion.

I went to a Tea Party yesterday in Denver. It started at noon on the west side of the capital building and there were about 5 to 6 thousand people present. The crowd was composed of a fairly diverse group of people. The event started with the pledge of allegiance and the singing of the national anthem. The sound system was poor as I had difficulty in hearing some of the speakers. However, what I did hear was in line with my thoughts on limiting the federal government, reduce federal spending, reduce federal taxation, a fairer and simpler federal tax.

I'm also dismayed with the news coverage. The coverage seems to range from describing a gathering of right wing, bigoted, knuckle dragging, lunatics to sour grapes republicans. I also find it interesting how certain news people enjoy using "Tea Bagging" as a double-entendre. I didn't even know there was a sexual meaning for it.

Here locally, channel 9's report would have a viewer or reader believe the rally was an impeach Obama focused event. I never heard any such thing. They also focused on Republicans and Democrats as if that's what the frustration is about. It's not.

The frustration is with a congress that's not doing their job of representing us. Unfortunately, that frustration gets targeted at the President. I think that the office of the president is a convenient target for that frustration. But it's the congress that needs to focused on. Our senators and representatives need to be communicated with and told what we think and believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment